Thursday, July 27, 2006

Sarawak Club Burnt down...

Bugger.

I'm sad now.

Sarawak club burnt down.

I got the news from a friend this morning, and I was skeptical at first.

Whats more he's in Australia. What? Kuching guy studying in Melbourne gets the news before me, and here I am, not knowing what happened?

I wasn't so sure until I saw it for myself.

Gone.

Gutted.

*sob*

Here are some pictures... Not from me, its circulating through email. I wanted to get some pics from the top floor of civic centre, but the lifts are all out, and the 3rd and 2nd floors are under renovation.

The pictures I got are not much different from the ones from the email, other than the quality of the ones from the email are much better than the ones I took with my camera phone.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Gone. Its all GONE!

Somehow you wonder what is going to happen now.

While they will have insurance, its going to be a while before it gets back up.

And what of the members now?

Will you still continue to collect fees?

Where will the income be from?

What of the employees?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Main hall. poof

There go those beautiful wooden beams that held up the main hall.

There go those old plaques from the club of old, when golf was still played where the civic centre is now.

There go those pictures, those trophys, those golfing memorabilia.

The books in the Library.

The equipment in the gym.

The snooker tables in the snookerium.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Fire... so damaging...

What happens to records of members?

If I have a book checked out of the library do they know?

If we spend some money for a good dinner in the restaurant would they know?

What more to say part of Sarawak Club is NEWLY RENOVATED. Fine, this is mostly the carpark and that security booth, but then again, to have something like this to happen?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Restaurant. Gone.

The passing of a Kuching Icon.

Sigh.

Update: Kenny Sia put up a picture HERE. It gives a better feel of the proper damage.