Monday, July 31, 2006

My Malaysia

I like Bolehland's weekly blog discussion topics.

This week's one is no different.

What is My Malaysia is this week's discussion.

Interesting.

I'm Malaysian. Nothing can detract from that statement.

I always say I miss Melbourne. But I will always consider Malaysia my home.

That was the reason I ran around town looking for a Malaysian flag in Melbourne during the 2004 Merdeka celebration.

That was the reason I took a tram to the suburbs to look for it.

That was the reason I forked out 96 AUD for two large flags.

That was the reason I carried the flag proudly to Uni, back to town, and during our Merdeka celebrations.

Malaysia is my home.

That is what it always will be first and foremost.

And that is why I will always like the place.

There isn't much I can wish for in terms of change in Malaysia.

But if there was one thing, I would like Sarawak and East Malaysia to be given more opportunities.

Our roads, development and such are years behind what is going on in West Malaysia.

While we are developing, I can't help but think that we're being left behind somewhat.

If we were to want to make a better Malaysia, I would think that is one thing we need to do.

We need more equality.

Not only between East and West Malaysia, but also between all races.

Do not discriminate between who should be accepted into Universities, Schools, or who should get loans, or cheap housing based on race, but on achievements, and requirements.

We're one nation.

I would think that everyone deserves that to say the least.

Don't get me wrong here.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong in what is going on now.

Its just that with news reports of people getting 14A1s in their SPM and being rejected by a University is just wrong.

By all means, keep what we are doing up, just give some deserving people their opportunities.

That aside, one of my fondest memories of my childhood is from the 1993 Merdeka Celebrations.

I was part of those celebrations, held here in Kuching.

I was one of the performers.

I performed for our countries leaders, for Malaysia.

I can still remember what we did so vividly.

We were one that day.

Sarawak was part of the whole Merdeka Celebrations.

We were ALL in it together.

Preparing, practicing.

As we prepare for the 2006 Merdeka Celebrations, again to be held here, I cant help but wonder.

Will we be able to show what Sarawak is all about, and bring more into making Malaysia, truly, whole.